An action oriented towards enhancing an employee’s skill set is known as training. Before imparting training, it is of utmost significance to understand what needs are to be imparted. What determines the training needs?
Of course, the objectives or tentative targets of the organization form the basis of how to redesign or fine tune the skill sets of its employees. Subsequently, classifying the organizational goals into long term or short-term goals further formulates an effective training plan for the employees.
Any training program that lasts for more than a period of 2 years is a long-term training. Similarly, any training schedule that lasts for a period less than 2 years can be categorized as a short-term training program.
Whatâ€™s more important? The answer to this question is not always the same. It keeps changing accordingly to best suit the growth and convenience of both the employees as well as the organization.
However, the proliferation of continuous globalized prospects at an organizational level had made it imperative for the establishments to focus on expanding the long-term skills of its employees. This is the most sought-after training need taking a front seat in the organizationâ€™s training agenda. Â Letâ€™s have a look at some long-term skills that deserve attention.
- An employee needs to be motivated and manageable enough to be capable in either a remote or close ended work environment. Qualities like confidence and pro-activeness form the footing of the above skills. Such skills can be developed only after a long-term nurturing of the employees towards strengthening their motivational and self-management capabilities.
- The span of an employeeâ€™s network outside work i.e. social networking has a greater impact on how early he can bounce back to normalcy when he encounters a hitch at work. This not so formal outer circle of an employee defines how well connected is he and how empathetic he in turn can offer to be, to his professional circle. Sustainable network outside work thatâ€™s dependable during times of need take a long-term effort to foster.
- Optimistic approach is a very sought-after trait in this ever-changing business scenario. Being able to hold on to the silver lining even when in darkness is of utmost importance to emerge as a winner. Hence training that focuses on the development of such positive outlook can prove beneficent at both personal and organizational level.
- Staying flexible not only strengthens an employeeâ€™s stand in the organization but also gives a focused dimension to the subordinates and the organization as well. Identifying the need of the hour and attending to the priorities first is always a best work approach. Flexibility escalating training thus finds its place in the long-term skills required.
- Ability to draw a line between personal and professional preferences and making sure to not repeat committed lapses is tricky trait which, not many can acquire. However, consistent work at it with the support of professional assistance and training can enable one to secure the attribute flawlessly. Learning to grow at a personal level while accelerating the growth of the organization is all about immense self discipline and dedication that needs a good amount of time to master.
It must be borne in mind by any organization that learning is a continuous process. Constantly expanding the boundaries of the employeeâ€™s skills and extending their horizon beyond work can prove to be a supremely successful approach towards sustainable success.
Helping employees to add value to themselves in long term fine tunes their approach towards work.